Dave Herzog has been involved in the art of puppetry since receiving a toy marionette from his father when he was four years old. As a full-time professional puppeteer for over 40 years, Dave has performed thousands of shows in theaters, amusement parks, schools and libraries nationwide. Our own variety show presented by the all-time favorite Dave Herzog’s Marionettes will be on Wednesday, October 31st, for the preschoolers. The cost of the in-school field trip is $7 per child. Please submit the payment to your child’s teacher by October 30th.
School Picture Days
October 17th & 18th
Class, individual and sibling photos will be taken on the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 17th – WAM, EAM and EPM
- Thursday, October 18th – TOD I, TOD II and Extended Day / Kindergarten group
Sibling portraits will be taken on the day of your youngest child’s picture day.
By Ms. Mary Lou
The kindergarten children hosted a beautiful and meaningful Harvest Luncheon last week. Each child invited one special guest to share a lovingly prepared meal. This event fulfilled two essential Montessori concepts — practical life along with grace and courtesy.
Through practical life activities, children become capable and independent human beings. It is the groundwork for good work habits, pride of a job well done and a strong sense of responsibility. The school grew a luscious vegetable garden this summer. Upon returning this September, the veggies were ready for harvest. In addition, the Extended Day group traveled to an apple orchard and hand-picked bags of Gala apples. The orchard visit taught them the various necessities of the honeybee, including pollination and honey production. As a result, the youngsters used these natural ingredients to prepare a healthy luncheon menu. These young chefs cut vegetables that grew underground, above the ground and on the vine. They prepared a gorgeous, green salad and a crunchy pasta salad. Honey butter was made by hand to spread on their dinner rolls. All was topped off by delicious apple pie. WOW replied one unexpecting father as he entered the room.
The aspect of grace and courtesy began with a hand drawn invitation of a garden and apple tree. Delivered to each family, the excitement was sparked. Frequently the children would engage in thoughtful conversation about their chore for the anticipated date. The children were provided cloth tablecloths and napkins to adorn the tables. The proper fork placement was presented as a lesson. The children found great joy in adorning the tables with fresh flowers, pumpkins and homegrown tomatoes. Each child observing and learning that a special meal deserves special preparation and attention from the host. When the happy day arrived, each child greeted their guest and kindly showed them their seat. Food, laughter and conversation was engaged by one and all. Later that afternoon, the children so very willingly helped the teachers dismantle the room. They put away chairs, carried food to the refrigerator and helped place dirty dishes near the sink. The space was a classroom once more, but not really.
They actually participated in a practical life transformation, a cycle. In Montessori we often refer to many different life cycles. Well this was one of them. These little people were hands on gathering the food, preparing the food and sharing the food with loved ones. A valuable and necessary life lesson in practicality, etiquette and most importantly generosity . . . how Montessori is that!
The for small hands catalog is a great source of obtaining Montessori materials for your home; and the above products are just a few of the staff’s favorites.
When orders over $25 are placed by December 31st, SWSM will receive
10% of the total in merchandise credit. Be sure to include our school
account #119014 when you place your order.
In order to give you a give you a broader insight and better understanding of your child’s time at Southwest Suburban Montessori, view the October curriculum here.
It was a beautiful day for a parade.
Thank you to everyone who showed their SWSM spirit and joined the Palos Park Parade!
Great news . . . a family-friendly KidStuff Coupon Book was sent home loaded with hundreds of valuable coupons! Use just a few coupons and save more than the $25 cost of the cook. Most coupons are long-term and are valid through December 31, 2019; and SWSM will earn 50% or more profit for every KidStuff book sold.
- To purchase one book, please keep the book sent home and pay $25.
- It’s easy to order additional KidStuff books. For example, if you are purchasing three books, keep the book sent home, order two more books and enclose payment of $75. Any books you order will be sent home.
- KidStuff has 20 fabulous editions. Family, friends and co-workers will love saving with KidStuff! all editions are $25. Editions are listed on the order form, at kidstuffcouponbook.com and on the first page of the KidStuff book. Fill in your money collection envelope with the editions you are ordering.
- Earn free books! You will earn one free book worth $25 for every five books you sell.
- Please make checks payable to Southwest Suburban Montessori School.
- Enclose payment of $25 per book in the completed money collection envelope and return it to your child’s teacher by Thursday, September 27th.
- This book is NOT a sample book for you to keep. If you do not wish to participate in this fundraiser, please immediately return the KidStuff book in a bag labeled with your child’s name to your child’s teacher.
- If you have any questions, please contact our office at 448-5332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for supporting our school!
Join SWSM in the Palos Park Parade on Saturday, September 15th. Wear RED and bring the whole family to the Plush Horse at 10:30 a.m. to line up and then join the fun as we march in the annual parade at 11:00 a.m.
The children enjoy handing out candy almost as much as being in the parade. If you would like to toss candy while walking the parade route, please bring a bag for your family.
Afterwards, spend the afternoon at the Autumn in the Park Festival which will be featuring live music, great food, chili and BBQ cook-off and so much more. This event has something for everyone! For more information, go to
Please join SWSM for a Back to School Potluck Dinner on Thursday, September 13th, at 6:00 p.m.
- Bring your favorite dish to share.
- Mingle with other parents and staff.
- Greet old friends and meet new ones!
This is an adult only event.